Tuesday, May 11, 2021

TVSTARZ - A cruel reality of Online singing competition

  am a youtuber. My genre mostly on Home Improvement DIY videos using stuff that I could buy online. Yup, my online purchase habits (and I bet so much for others) has been increasing ever since the pandemic strikes. Due to the on and off control movement orders, all of us are forced to stay home and find a new meaning to entertain ourselves. 

As I browse through the net, I tuned to TVSTARZ one day, it’s the first Malaysian online singing competition reality show made available on TV. I am quite keen to learn their formatting. 6 dream team singers competing to be atop whilst avoiding being kick off the group by a weekly challenger. I was hooked.


It has just got more interesting when we learn that the challenger can come from any part of the world (being online and all). So that day, enter Andrey; a challenger from Indonesia. A youtuber just like myself. He has got many hits on cover song videos he made on Siti Nurhaliza’s song. An interesting choice for a man I’d say. He performed her song ‘Purnama Merindu’ this week. Who sing it best? You gotta judge it yourself.


Then just last week, I saw a new challenger from Philippines, Angel. True to her name, she do sing like an angel. My hunch was right. She was praised by the judges on her performance, especially the one with ‘Lelaki teragung’ by Dayang Nurfaizah, singing the song emotionally and pronouncing the lyrics beautifully as if it’s her mother tongue. 


As I aspected, both challengers made it through till now. Replacing the original dream team members and staying strong week after week. Will they stay till the end? We have to follow and see. My bias prayer are with my fellow Malaysian singers of course. C’mon Jazper, Jalee & Eyqa!


It’s half way through the competition. I am just curious on the value of prize TVSTARZ are offering. To tell you the truth, in my own opinion, any money is good now, considering our situation. But to actually have a platform to compete and continue contributing to the entertainment industry whilst staying locked in the comfort of our home? It’s something they should be applaud for.


Thank you TVSTARZ.

No comments: